Plants vs Chickens : Gardening Tips in an Area with Many Chickens

Just some gardening tips in an area with many chickens roaming around freely.

Plants vs Chickens : Gardening Tips in an Area with Many Chickens

As an amateur plant lover, it’s a real struggle for me as I live in a village with many stupid chickens roaming around freely. Not everything is bad though. Here in the village, I can plant as many plants as possible. The paddy field near my house is the source of fertile soil I often need a lot. But again, the negatives aspect to live in a village like this is… chickens. Chicken, chicken, and chicken. Chicken is like a monster that can destroy all your beautiful plants for just a minute. 

So what should I do? (thinking really hard, lol). Built a fence? Well, I don’t have money to build a fence that can stop them. The chickens in my place can even fly at the roof of the houses. Sure a fence will help, but right now, I don’t have the resources. Hahaha. 

Huft… Okay. 

But gladly, after some small fight with those chickens, I had no option except to compromise with their existence. Here, some tips that I think will be useful for you too if you struggle with the same condition.

5 Gardening Tips in an Area with Many Chickens Roaming Around

Well, Built a Fence

Well, if you have money, unlike me, then just build a fence. I suggest you to build a concentrate or stone fence or anything that can really block the chickens. But don’t expect that the chickens won’t attack anything inside the fence at all. Sometimes, some crazy (lol) chicken may fly above your fence and land on your garden. 

Make a Secure Area

Secure area is needed. And if you can’t build a fence like me, at least make sure that there’s a place where you can locate your plants relatively safe. This is essential gardening tips in an area with many chickens. This place can be used to locate your sprout, your new plants that you have bought, your plants that can easily be damaged by those stupid birds, etc. How to make a secure area without a fence? Read the below point.

Make the Chicken Afraid

Yes. Believe it or not, chickens can learn. The safest area in my yard is the one in front of my house. That’s because I often work (I work from home) in the living room, and I always have a “ready to attack mode” whenever I hear any chickens sounds. I often run for the chicken with the broom in my hand. Lol. After some times, the chickens finally learn not to touch anything in my front yard. Actually, I can do it in all areas of my yard. But I’m not sure that I can running around here and there with the broom in my hand without a laugh from my neighbours.

Place the Plants Based on the Chickens Attacks

Another importance gardening tips in an area with many chickens is… place your plants based on how the chickens attack. Some plants are never touched by the chickens. Zig zag plant is the example. So does sansiviera (but the new sprout often being “patuk).

Place the one that can destroy easily or often eaten by the chicken in the “secure zone”. And when you buy a new plant, please consider where you will put that plant.
  1. And here, a list of my plants and how chickens often attack them.
  2. Cemara, never touched. The chickens didn’t like it.
  3. Tricolor, not really liked, but the chicken often just patuk for “fun”
  4. Bougainvillea, the new leaves is eaten by them  
  5. Mongira, very likeable 
  6. Palm, not really liked, but the chicken often just patuk for “fun”
  7. Sansiviera not really liked, but the chicken often just patuk the young leaves just for “fun”
  8. Coconut bonsai, not really liked, but the chicken often just patuk for “fun”
  9. Vinca, not really liked, but the chicken often just patuk for “fun”
  10. Euphorbia, safe!
  11. Cacti, safe! never touched by the chickens
  12. etc

Make a Mini Fence

Sometimes you need to build a mini wooden fence around the plant in the vase. This is useful if the chickens often attack the new leaves / sprout of your plant. By building the mini fence, you save the new sprout and young leaves until they mature enough. 

Use a Big Pot

Using a big vase will help you a lot. Especially if there’s no room in your secure zone.  

Well, that’s all I can write as a gardening tips in an area with many chickens. Hope that help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9 Differences between Lotus and Water Lily

What to Do When a Cat Pee on Plants