10 Differences Between Desert Rose and Plumeria
What’s the differences between desert rose and plumeria? I find a lot of people think that both plant fall in the same species. Plumeria or Champa Flower and Adenium (desert rose) often thought “only” to be a variance toward each other. In my country, Indonesia, part of this confusion is caused by the plants’ name. Champa flower is called Kamboja (champa) in Indonesia and Malay. While Adenium or desert rose is called Kamboja Jepang (Japanese Cambodia, literally).
So what’s the differences between the two plants?
Adenium
By looking at the seed, we can find another difference between desert rose and plumeria. Look at this picture below. As you can see, plumeria’s seeds don’t have a kind of wing like desert rose’s. I think it’s due to the fact, that adenium is African plant commonly found in desert. So evolution “gave” the seed wing to make it easier to be carried by the wind and land on new place. This trait won’t help champa that much because they don’t grow in desert, rather in forest.
Another difference between desert rose and plumeria that I’ve found was the leaves. I will say that generally, champa has bigger leaves than adenium. The shape is varied in both plant though.
In my place, some people plant their P. rubra to be a tree. While I myself have 1,5 meter adenium. While mine doesn’t have that big trunk, but they are “fat” and chubby compare to champa tree I found. I didn’t mean to say that adenium is better. Champa tree is actually very beautiful because its trunk. My neighbor’s has this kind of big bucket shape.
So what’s the differences between the two plants?
10 Differences Between Desert Rose and Plumeria
1: Flower
- Adenium flower has trumpet shape. While Champa flower is flat.
- Some species of champa plant has thicker petal
2: According to Science …
Plumeria- Kingdom: Plantae
- Family: Apocynaceae
- Subfamily: Rauvolfioideae
- Genus: Plumeria
- Species: Plumeria sp.
Adenium
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Order: Gentianales
- Family: Apocynaceae
- Subfamili: Apocynoideae
- Genus: Adenium
- Species: Adenium sp.
3: Species
Both plant is a group of some species under the same genus.- For champa, the species are: P. rubra, P. alba, P. krugii, P. magna, P. lanata, P. pudica, P. obtusa, P. venosa, P. tuberculata, etc. In Asia, P. rubra is very popular.
- While in adenium group, there are: A. arabicum, A. obesum, A. boehmianium, A. oleifolium, A. swazicum, A. multiflorum. A obesum is the most famous among others.
4: Seed
![]() |
| Desert roses seeds' have some kind of wing to make them "fly" easily |
5: Name
- Plumeria: Kamboja (Indonesia and Malay (Malaysian and Brunei) language), Champa Flower
- Adenium: dessert rose, Kamboja Jepang (Japan Champa Flower)
6: Origin
Champa is thought to be a new world plant (America). While adenium is an African – Arab peninsula plant. I think this difference between desert rose and plumeria is the source of other differences explain here. However, there’s still some confusion about this plant’s origin. While many botanists believe that this plant came from America and distributed across the world, old relief on some Southeast Asian temples are reported picturing this plant. Champa, like its very “mainland” Southeast Asia name is also a national flower of Laos.7: Bonsai
To be honest, I have little to zero knowledge when it comes about bonsai. But, by a little observation, I can conclude that desert rose is way better to be used as bonsai than plumeria. I think Champa plant’s trunk is not really good to “bonsai-id” (is that a word? Haha). I did some online research, and I found that I’m pretty correct. For what I’ve found:- Champa leaves is too big while many adenium leaves are small enough so it fit for bonsai plant size.
- Champa trunk and root are indeed can not grow big like the adenium’s.
![]() |
| Left : Adenium leaves, Right: Plumeria leaves |
8: Leaves
Another difference between desert rose and plumeria that I’ve found was the leaves. I will say that generally, champa has bigger leaves than adenium. The shape is varied in both plant though.9: Trunk and Root
And just like what I’ve mentioned above: Plumeria trunk and root is “slim” and straight compare to adenium’s fat tuber. It’s adaptation I think. Because adenium used to live in a desert dry area while champa isn’t.In my place, some people plant their P. rubra to be a tree. While I myself have 1,5 meter adenium. While mine doesn’t have that big trunk, but they are “fat” and chubby compare to champa tree I found. I didn’t mean to say that adenium is better. Champa tree is actually very beautiful because its trunk. My neighbor’s has this kind of big bucket shape.



Comments
Post a Comment